Check here to see if you’ll need a visa.
| 💉 VACCINES
Click here to make sure you’ve got the necessary jabs!
| 💬 LANGUAGE
National Language is Japanese. Learn common phrases here.
| 💰 CURRENCY
Japanese Yen ¥. Code: JPY. Check your exchange here.
- Foreigners are expected to shake hands, however, you can still opt for the traditional greeting of a bow.
- Remove shoes before entering a home in Japan.
- Try not to eat on the streets or public areas eg: stations.
You should always have travel insurance when going overseas.
You’ll have no trouble reading signs, hearing announcements in English. Culturally, Japanese are quite reserved and will opt to reply in Japanese or write the answer down, even if they understand. Read more on it here.
There is no tipping, in any context. It can be considered insulting if you do.
Trains are the way to go in larger cities. For Tokyo, check here for 1-3 day passes to cheapen the cost. All JR trains are included in the JR PASS. I’d suggest using this when you’re going to be doing trips to Kyoto, Osaka, Nara etc from Tokyo.
Yep! You can drink the tap water here!
Cash is extremely prevalent in smaller, family-run shops. Rural areas it can be hard to find a working ATM that accepts non-Japanese cards. Majority of tourist areas will accept a card.
– Major Railway Stations
– Coffee & Fast Food Restaurants
– Tourist Information Desks
Two, non-polarised pins.
Voltage: 100 Volts.
They fit into North American Outlets.
– Shabu Shabu
– Miso Soup
– Green Tea
– Pocari Sweat
– Matcha Latte
– Chuhai (Alc)
– Sake (Alc)
– Beer (Alc)
- Japan is made up of 6,852 Islands
- Japan is the English name. Nippon is Japanese and means “Sun Origin.”
- Three-Quarters of Japan’s land is either forest or mountains.
- Japan sits along the “Pacific Ring of Fire” which means many earthquakes.
- Mt Fuji is the highest point of Japan, sitting at 3,7776m / 12,388ft.